Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 3

I hooked up with my friend Chris and found the fish pretty tough to catch to say the least, tossed all of my top 5 flies at them and only one streamer was consistent,... The Montreal Whore.
This fly is the most deadly fly I use on this particular river, it is my searching pattern.
Chris is fishing the main pool and I go to the riffles in the lower pool, out goes the floozy in orange and white first short cast brings up nothing,I cast out where they have been the past couple days,strip strip WHACK!!!! and off comes the fly!  A savage strike so typical in the spot, they seem to hit it like a pike for some reason, the fish continues to jump completely out of the water as if were still hooked for over a half hour, for that I feel badly, I prefer not to leave my hooks inside a fish's mouth for this reason.
No more fish in this run for me,....
Mid morning even that old standby was being laughed at by my finny friends.
Chris was having similar results with his roster.
We had the occasional chase and did land a few at pool 2 but then they just shut down.
So I started thumbing through my bench warmers and eventually found a couple that seemed to interest them, first was a goof fly from a few years back, an olive ersatz wolly bugger thing is flashy and bright as heck, first pass through the pool and WHAM!,,,,,,nice little 19 inch fish.
Second run through and a big boil and stung the fish, he wasn't coming back today.
It was raining hard on us at this point so I give Chris a copy of the fly and head upstream to a nice little cut on a bend, 3 fish rise up on the bugger but no solid takers.
Chris has similar results in the main pool, he switches to a nymph rig and goes into my spot above, I switch to a small Wardens worry that is old and ratty, run through the entire pool and just as I am wondering what any warden has to worry about with this fly hook an 18 inch buck at the tailout...I land him and go to the pools head and instantly stick another fish and lose him.

One of Chris' fish from yesterday, a nice little 18-19 inch buckaroo
Chris is drifting nymphs above and hooks up to a nice little fish that puts on a hell of a show, but loses him, then a few mins later hooks the bigger fish in this hold that also goes airborne before breaking him off...We are both soaked to the bone and getting a bit tired(roll casting all day is tough work believe me) so we quit for the day....overall it was a tough days fishing on this tough river to fish, but it was a very fun day to say the least,...I love a challenge!  I am taking today off to go visit my Mother and rest up for Friday's marathon.   Tomorrow will be meeting up with Blackghost ( Big Brookie Steve) and see what he has up his sleeve.
One of Chris' fish from yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment