Monday, January 9, 2012

It's been a while since I posted a new page here, not really too much going on fishing or painting wise due to the holidays, and have been in a bit of a slump oil painting wise. 
While surfing the net, particularly Facebook I came across a very inspiring watercolor artist who lives out on the west coast Dianne Michelin, just amazing stuff, I had a small kit of watercolors and some paper I purchased last summer however was afraid to try them out knowing how difficult he watercolor process was.
So I broke them out to try something new and sure enough my first attempt was a complete bust, tossing that aside I sketched out another, put on the masking, and started the background, this time I liked what I saw a bit better, enough to save it from the trash anyhow...and used a different approach on the fish which at least looked like a swimming fish and not a childs painting.  (the 3 d effect is mandatory for my paintings if I don't kind of see that I trash it).   The first one is tail unshaded, something didn't look right so I added shadow on the lower part because that is where the light wouldn't be hitting it as directly. 
 This one is after a bit more shading in the tail area, I like it better.  Water surface still needs tobe completed I am missing sky blue (cerulean blue) to complete that, which I will hit the art store today to pick up.
I kind of like it, much brighter than my oil work.

1 comment: